Wednesday, April 23, 2008

6 years in the making...

I remember at the Saint Anthony's Invitation running the unseeded mile. I was probably 15 years old and a scrawny 135 prepubescent boy. I was determined to break 5 minutes in this mile. When the race went off I was out in 1st. I felt so fucking good and was certain that today was my day, not to break 5, but to break 450. The first lap was 68, the half was in 2:18 so I really didn't slow too much. Then I began to fall apart, I was so weak back then and my form was terrible. I remember feeling like I couldn't move my arms and I just wanted to walk off of the track. My last 800m was 2:43. I ran 5:01 and was so pissed off. All I had to do for my last lap was run something like 82, although I can't remember that split exactly, and I ran 84.. disgusting.

Easy morning run: 3
Yesterday we had a workout that I've done two times before that goes a mile at 3k pace (which would ideally be right around 4:55 or so) and then 4x400 at mile pace (which should be somewhere under 70). I haven't raced the mile since that day sophomore year and coach said that today I could just go after it and whatever the rest of the workout was well whatever.. so warming up I felt like crap from running kind of hard the day before and kind of long the day before that. But we get into it and I felt much better than expected, I hung right onto Brendan and Scotty's coat tails. We went through in 72 I think, then 2:24.. dead even. I felt good through 800 and kind of wanted to pick it up but I figured I'd just hang tight. From there we went through 1200 in 3:38 I think and all I was thinking, even though I was still feeling alright, was "PLEASE DO NOT BLOW UP" and I didn't, the last 400 wasn't even that far off from all the others. I finished in 4:51 so I went 2:24-2:27. I think if I had laced up some spikes and got ready for a mile I could go sub 4:40. I was still decent for the 400's after a 10 second PR.. I ran 72-70-70-69. It was great for my confidence and will be even better for a race situation. Today I ran easy with Joe Mac. And Sunday I race 5k at YALE!

Tuesday's Mileage: 10.5

Today's Mileage: 8

No comments: